Zucchini Cakes with Dill and Feta
adapted from Nigel Slater's The Kitchen Diaries
1 large zucchini
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons AP flour
1 large egg, slightly beaten
4 ounces feta cheese
1 tablespoon dried dill (or small bunch of fresh)
salt & pepper
- Grate the zucchini with a coarse grater (I used the grating disk on my food processor). Place zucchini in a colander over a bowl & sprinkle with salt. Leave it to drain for at least half an hour.
- Heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a pan. Cook the chopped onions until soft but not brown. Dry the grated zucchini or wringe them out lightly. Add the zucchini with the garlic into the pan. Cooking until almost pale gold. Stir in the flour, cook until the flour is well-combined and well-cooked in the mixture. Season to taste with black pepper and a pinch of salt. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the egg, feta, and dill. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a pan. Shape heaped tablespoons of the zucchini mixture into patties. Cook until golden, turning once (be delicate; the mixture is very fragile).
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, tomato sauce, or your favorite chutney.