Since I'm homebound today, I figured it would be a good time to make something for Eating Out Loud's Food Fight event...a pantry raid! The rules are simple: Pick a random day (preferably not after you've just completed a shopping trip), take a picture of your pantry, then prepare a dish with several key ingredients from the pantry.
Here's what my pantry/food cabinet looks like:
At first, I considered making something with pasta, beans, & tuna (things I always have on hand), but it was only 1:00 and I wanted something more "brunch-like," more rib-stickingly filling.
So, I made tomato herb polenta & poached eggs with:
2 cups water
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 garlic clove, crushed
salt & pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup marinara sauce
olive oil, for drizzling
- Bring the water to a boil in a non-stick saucepan.
- Stir in the polenta, and stir until it thickens.
- Add the herbs, garlic, a pinch of salt, & a couple cranks of black pepper.
- Put a lid on the pan and cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Poach the eggs in simmering water, drain.
- Remove lid & stir in cheese & marinara sauce.
- Spoon polenta into 2 bowls. Drizzle with olive oil. Add an egg to each.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a bit more oregano & cheese (if desired).
I just realized that a white bowl would make for a better pic. Ugh. I am still working on the pictures things.
Thanks for visiting my blog! I envy people who can so easily just raid their pantry and come up with something delicious!!
I liked reading about your pantry raid project. Aren't snow days just the best?
Hey Kelly -- I love polenta and this looks soooo good. Thanks for joining the Food Fight. I posted the round-up today!
Post a Comment