Plain ol' pot roast for dinner? It's better with booze!
Boring baby shower? It's better with booze!
A cold winter night? It's better with booze!
Church? It's better with booze!
So, when I saw that the theme for this month's Cupcake Hero event was booze, I decided to whip up some liquor-laced goodies because....DESSERT IS BETTER WITH BOOZE!
I actually invented a recipe for this event, one which I am very proud of because--as I've said before--I'm no baker. I knew I wanted to do something with Absolut New Orleans, a mango & black pepper flavored vodka. So, this is a vanilla cupcake with a vodka-soaked mango center and vodka buttercream icing.
Never heard of Absolut New Orleans? It was released last fall, the first in a series to honor American cities. The flavors are supposed to represent the cities' cultural spirit, and all proceeds are donated to those cities.
For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
1 ripe mango
1/2 cup Absolut New Orleans vodka
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel and finely chop mango. Marinate mango in the vodka (use enough to cover completely) for 1/2 hour or more. Drain but save the juice for cocktails!
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in extract.
- Add flour & milk, alternately, to sugar mixture.
- Fill 12 cupcake liners with 1 heaping tablespoon of batter.
- Add 1 teaspoon of mango to each cupcake.
- Top each with another heaving tablespoon of batter. Add more batter to each to fill liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes are done.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely before icing.
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons Absolut New Orleans vodka
- Cream butter, salt, & vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar, gradually.
- Add vodka, one tablespoon at a time, and beat until smooth.
- If you're feeling sassy, add a couple cranks of black pepper to the icing.
- Ice cupcakes.
- Eat a bunch and catch a buzz.
Whoa! These look very cool. I have to agree~ everything is better with booze. ;-) Especially church~ HA!
I can't believe I didn't get a taste test. You so would have had your in. Oh well, no buttering up the judge I guess. I do still accept offers of cold hard cash. Just don't tell the other entries.
Yum! I love that vodka. It inspired me to make a fun sorbet over the summer! I never thought of it in cupcakes. May have to try it. I love mango! I love cupcakes! I love vodka! It's meant to be...
Post a Comment