April 30, 2008

Help! I need morel support!

I found four rather large (black?) morels in my backyard today, growing along the back retaining wall. However, they seem to be a bit dried out.

Photobucket

My questions: Are these still okay to eat...or have they gone past their "expiration" date? Is there a too-far-gone-to-pick point when it comes to morels?

Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Iron Steph gave me thew link to your blog. It's going to be OK. The morels you found will come back to life when you soak them in salted water (to get the bugs off). You need to splin them in half top to bottom and soak for an hour or two. Then drain them outside surface down on a paper towel. And voila!! Good luck....and don't forget bug spray when you are in the woods!

KELLY SCHMICKLE said...

Thanks! I've actually already been soaking them and plan to eat them over some risotto for lunch. Mmmm...

I just can't believe I had morels right in my backyard...and I don't live in the country or even a wooded area!!

Chiffy said...

How could anybody eat anything that UGLY???

My BF "Big Bear" only eats those little round mushrooms from Whole Foods.

Anonymous said...

Be SURE when you slice the mushrooms in half lengthwise that they are hollow inside. If not, don't eat them.

BrotherChiffonade said...

PLEASE be careful of these mushrooms. They could be what we call "false morels" and they are said to be very poisonous.

Erin said...

I'm a little nervous because the stems of your mushrooms don't look like those of a morel.

Look it up online...

www.thegreatmorel.com

Kelsey said...

I second BrotherChiffonade. Shrooms? Out of your backyard? Unless you're an expert on the various fungal forms I wouldn't recommend putting any wild thing even semi-morel like near your mouth.

Shayne said...

Jealous all I can say is I am jealous I only found 1 morel when I went out last week:(