I still crave the comfort of tomato soup and grilled cheese, but these days I forgo the canned soup & white bread with American cheese slices for a more "mature" version.
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
38 ounces crushed tomatoes
4 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper
chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion & garlic and cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, curry powder, and paprika. Simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender in three batches (be careful when blending hot liquids, as they expand). Pour each batch of puree through a strainer into a saucepan.
- Stir in the cream. Taste and add salt & pepper as needed.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley & a few cheesy croutons (recipe below).
Post a Comment