1. Saute 1/2 of a small onion (chopped) & 1 garlic clove (crushed) in a tad of olive oil until just soft.
2. Add a bunch of asparagus stems (leftover from the tips you cut off and ate with dinner a couple nights ago) and a sprinkling of salt & pepper. Cook about 10 minutes.
3. Add 1 can of chicken broth (fat-free, low-sodium). Simmer until asparagus is soft.
4. Blend with immersion blender (or in counter-top blender).
5. Simmer on low another 10 minutes to thicken.
6. Add just a splash of fat-free half & half and a bit of grated parmesan cheese.
7. Slurp loudly from a big spoon.
8. Curse even more loudly when you burn your tongue because you are too impatient and want to eat this gloriously easy, tasty soup now.