Confession: Recently, I made meringues for the first time. They were another thing on my "to cook" list that seemed difficult & persnickity.
I was wrong.
Meringues are actually very easy...just four ingredients & little prep time. Plus, you can flavor them with just about anything (vanilla, chocolate, citrus, herbs, peppermint, berry).
I made espresso meringues (which we sandwiched together with bittersweet chocolate ganache) in my cooking class last weekend. My class chose to make heart-shaped meringues for Valentine's day. But, you can make stars or kisses, depending on what kind of pastry tip you use, or simple disks.
|Just a quick, not-great pic snapped with my phone during class.|
4 egg whites
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon espresso powder
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Sift the powdered sugar, cream of tartar, and espresso powder together and then slowly beat them into the egg whites. Continue beating until all of the sugar is incorporated and the whites form stiff peaks.
- Scoop the meringue into a pastry bag & pipe onto silicone mat-lined baking trays.
- Bake for 90 minutes until the meringues are hard. Remove from the oven and let cool.